How was Life On The Road going to continue with our rusty old Bedford motorhome? Was the first thing that Lisa asked when I told her that I wanted to fix it up to tour Australia instead of sell it.
Lisa’s Turn To Be Surprised
Was it a look of surprise and joy that we were going to travel as originally planed? Or was it a look of horror that I may have finally flipped my lid? That I could see on Lisa’s face when I told her that we were keeping the bus . I think it may have been surprise. But there are many moments where I think Lisa might have been right if she was thinking that I had flipped my lid.
To answer Lisa’s Question of “How was life on the road going to continue with the old Bedford motorhome?” I told her how I had realised that If I had to fix up the bus that we already had to make it saleable then it was a waste of time selling it and starting all over again. Lisa knows the standards that I work to and that the bus would be good enough for us to travel in before I would even consider selling it. She was convinced.
One thing that I can not do is sell anything under false pretences. If I was to sell the bus then I would disclose all the details of the buses condition to any potential purchaser. It would go against everything that I stand for to hide as many faults as possible in the hope that they wouldn’t be found until after I had sold it. If I was going to fix our old Bedford Motorhome up to a point where I could make a profit then we would be better off enjoying the fruits of my labour rather than someone else.
Lisa was full of questions after that. ( It was a nice feeling to have the shoe on the other foot for once I was back in the drivers seat.) The bigest question being when was I expecting the bus to be ready for us to go.
Although our bus has a lot of good points it also has a lot of problems to overcome, before we can enjoy our life on the road and tour Australia without having to constantly deal with breakdowns and repairs. To overcome most of the problems I could easily spend six months working on the bus part time, but we don’t have that long. I have chosen the end of our lease on the house that we are renting as our departure date. Which is at the end of January.
Am I Up To The Task?
Everything except for a couple of the mechanical jobs is well within my capabilities.I am a qualified Boat Builder and have extensive experience in metal fabrication, fiberglass, glazing, low voltage electrical systems and installation of engines, pumps etc. I have also worked in the caravan manufacturing industry building caravan bodies and furniture. So I have the knowledge, skills and contacts to complete the job but the one factor that is out of my control is the weather. It has rained almost every week here for most of the year and we still have the rainy season to come. Will I have the bus ready to go on time? We will have to wait and see.
I will follow up with the next post in a couple of days and will detail exactly how I intend to overcome many of these challenges so that we can start living our life on the roadand tour Australia in our old Bedford Motorhome.
New Life On The Road